Friday, December 23, 2011

Feeling lonely, sad or unloved this Christmas?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Believe it or not, I used to hate Christmas time.  Seriously.  I was single while most of my friends were married, I lived alone, and worked in retail management, which meant I was pretty much owned by my job.  When my friends were at parties, I was at work.   When my friends were cooking and decorating, I was at work.  When my family was trimming the tree, I was at work.  You get the idea.  I didn't have time for the "Norman Rockwell" version of Christmas, and all the Christmas songs just reminded me of what it seemed that everyone else had, but I didn't.

Can you relate?

The holidays are a wonderful time of year, but can also be very lonely for those of us who are going through a hard time.  I know three beautiful people who have lost their fathers only months ago, and this is their first Christmas without them.  There are many of us who are alone - perhaps without family members and/or friends who are living or without the ability to be near family.  Some are serving our country in a foreign land.  Some of us, even, can be around many people, but still feel the hurt of sadness and loneliness.

You may feel lonely, sad, or unloved this holiday.  Please know that you are deeply loved.  God loves you so much that he gave his son for you.  That's so easy to hear, because it's been broadcast over and over again, but please read it again and allow the words to really sink in - God loved YOU (yes, YOU, it doesn't matter who you are or what you've done in your life) so much that the only son he had was allowed to be brutally beaten and murdered - for your sake.  He allowed him to be the substitute for you.  Jesus died, so that if you believe in him, you will not perish in Hell, but live with God for eternity.  That's the ultimate gift - the gift of his life in exchange for yours.  Hear the word of God as he entreats you - accept his gift.  He wants to love you.  He wants to ease your pain.  He wants to take away your loneliness.  He wants to mend your wounds, heal your broken heart, be your friend and family.  He can be all those things and more - all you have to do is accept him.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with me." Revelation 3:20  Won't you accept his invitation?  Open the door to Jesus and give him your loneliness, hurt, pain, heartache and longing.  Let him give you the gift of salvation and with it peace, joy and love.  It's not a catchphrase, and it's not a myth.  Jesus' love is real.  God's love is real.

You aren't unloved.  You are precious to God.  Reach out to him - he's always available and ready to listen to you!  If you feel like you need someone to pray for you, please email me - I'll be happy to pray for you!

May the Lord bless you and keep you, and give you peace.
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment