Friday, February 8, 2013

the rescued heart

This entry I wrote for a blog that I was intending to start, entitled "a rescued heart".  Decided to put all my longings for God into my "comforts and joys" blog - but still wanted to help explain the love of God in a different way.  Hope you enjoy. RJC


Why entitle this blog the rescued heart? The genesis of the idea came one Saturday when we were visiting the animal shelter where we adopted both our dogs, Wyatt & Dyson. I have an incredible soft spot for dogs, especially rescue dogs. I firmly believe that one of these days when we own our own home and have a lot more land, we will be adopting several more. (I could have a pack of 6 to 8 - I believe my husband would prefer fewer than that....) Anyway - I digress - back to the shelter.

I tend to get very emotional at the shelter, as I instantly fall in love with all of the dogs there, and want all of them to find good homes and love. Some dogs are irresistible, some not. some loud, some quiet. Some have personalities that instantly click with yours, some wouldn't be a good match for your home. Many are not "perfect" - strays, older dogs, malnourished, disabled - those, especially, have a special place in my heart. I'd love to take all of the hard to place dogs home - kind of like "the island of misfit toys" - only for misfit fur babies. The desire to care for them was so strong, it choked me up.

That's when it hit me - that's exactly how God and Jesus feel about the world. When people want to tell you that God "hates" certain people, don't believe it, it's a lie. God loves ALL of us, and wants all of us to be saved. We're like those dogs in the cages at the shelter - strays, given up on, desperate for a home and someone to love us. God the father and his son Jesus see us - imperfect, damaged, broken, in need of a lot of care and attention, perhaps even sitting in our own filth - and say "I want that one!" In fact, they want to adopt everyone. They want to rescue us all, take us home, smother us with love, care, provision, protection and shelter. That's what it means to be loved. That's what it means to be rescued. And that's what God is really like - the ultimate rescue parent. We just have to want to be rescued.

I have been rescued. Not only by God, but by the dogs that my husband and I rescued from the shelter. I gave their lives new meaning, and in return, they gave my life new meaning. God gave my life new meaning. I am eternally grateful - to my God AND my dogs!

Wyatt (on the right) and Dyson

No comments:

Post a Comment